Call for a free consultation
(888) 323-2133
Donate Now!

How to Get Paid to Stay Home with Your Child with Autism

Caring for your child with autism is difficult even in the best of times. If you are struggling financially, it can be even tougher. It is estimated that it costs a family $1.4 million to $2.5 million to raise a child with autism. Furthermore, many parents cannot work full-time because their child with autism needs round-the-clock care. But can you get paid to stay home with your child with autism?

There are many resources available to assist you if you decide to stay home to care for your child. In some cases, you can receive payments from county, state, or federal agencies for being your child’s caregiver. You may also be eligible for other services, like food, housing, and medical care.
But often figuring out what you are entitled to is difficult and overwhelming to say the least. If you live in California, the first thing you want to do is contact your regional center for help and resources by clicking this link:
Then, do some research online regarding the following financial assistance services: 

Medicaid Waivers

California has a program for individuals with developmental disabilities called a Medicaid Waiver, which is designed to provide support services and care to allow an individual to remain at home or in the community, rather than in an institution or hospital. The benefits provided by this waiver program generally provides coverage for medical treatments, respite care, transportation, in-home support, and more. 

In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS)

For qualified families, the state of California has a program called In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS), which pays an individual caregiver to stay home and care for a developmentally disabled child. Many of the behaviors that can cause injury, hazards or accidents in children with autism are wandering, eloping, darting away, or climbing. Parents who have been deemed caregivers are granted a specific number of paid hours every month so your child can remain safely in his own home, as it is considered an alternative to out-of-home care such as board and care facilities. IHSS pays up to around $3,000 per month.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

Supplemental Security Income, or SSI, is a monthly government payment through Social Security that was created to support people who are disabled. To help support them financially, individuals with autism may be eligible to receive SSI. Information on this and other programs can be found at


Some private organizations and non-profits offer family grants, scholarships, and other types of financial help specifically to individuals with autism to help pay for autism-related expenses.
And as always, if you feel overwhelmed and you need help, please contact us.
American Advocacy Group is on the front lines every day, making positive change happen for people diagnosed with Autism, Down syndrome and a range of diagnoses across the continuum. As a leading advocate for all people with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families, and the premier provider of the support and services people want and need, we understand the system and know how to take action in regard to your best interests.
Dial (877) 762-0702 or email us at

By submitting this form, you agree to receive communication from American Advocacy Group via email, phone, or other means.

American Disability Association © 2022
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram