Call for a free consultation
(888) 323-2133
Donate Now!

Am I Eligible for IHSS Financial Benefits?

Eligible for IHSS
Are you taking care of a child with a disability? You could be eligible for IHSS financial benefits as an In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) provider. In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) is a California government program that provides economic support for in-home caretakers of impaired elders, persons with disabilities, and children with developmental disabilities, such as autism and Down syndrome.

Experts say that caring for a child with autism or Down syndrome is like running a fulltime business—it requires at least one person who is dedicating a continual effort. And while some of you have been able to return to the workforce, most of the time, it's not possible.
And so, you may wonder if you are eligible for IHSS. Can you get paid to stay at home to care for your child?

IHSS Protective Supervision

While a variety of benefits are available, the most important for families of children with special needs is “Protective Supervision.” As an IHSS provider, you may receive an hourly wage to take care of your child with special needs if he or she needs 24-hour supervision and can continue to safely stay at home. You can earn up to $3,000 a month and this wage is also exempt from federal income taxes.

Are You Eligible for IHSS?

When a person or couple is eligible to become an IHSS provider, a social worker comes to the home to assess the need for services.
To be eligible for Protective Supervision, your child must have:

  • A mental impairment or mental illness that causes functional limitations in:
    • Memory (e.g. forgetting things, people, places, to start or finish a task, etc.)
    • Orientation (e.g. inability to recognize and adapt to time, people, places, environment, surroundings etc., needed to live and complete tasks.)
    • Judgment (e.g. making decisions which put the individuals’ health and/or safety at risk),


  • The impairments must cause your child to experience confusion and an inability to self-direct his or her behaviors so as to keep himself or herself safe and free from harm or injury.


  • The county must also determine that your child needs to be observed twenty-four-hours-a-day in order for him or her to safely remain at home. This does not mean that the provider has to be present and watching the individual at all times. It can include observing your child in some alternative way while he or she is left alone for a fixed period of time.

County staff are also required to explain the availability and need for Protective Supervision services and whether or not out-of-home care would be an appropriate alternative to Protective Supervision.
To apply as an In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) provider, you must fill out an application and submit it to your local county IHSS office. Protective Supervision services can be difficult to obtain and require clear documentation to prove the need for financial benefits.
If you need help, we are here for you.
American Advocacy Group is on the front lines every day, making positive change happen for people diagnosed with Autism, Down Syndrome, and a range of diagnoses across the continuum. As a leading advocate for all people with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families, and the premier provider of the support and services people want and need, we understand the system and know how to take action in regard to your best interests.
Contact us for a free evaluation at (877) 762-0702.

By submitting this form, you agree to receive communication from American Advocacy Group via email, phone, or other means.

American Disability Association © 2022
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram